Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Setbacks and Progress

I had a setback in my afghan. The yarn is cotton, and every cotton anything I've ever had (yarn, shirts, socks, jeans, headbands, etc.) have all shrunk even when they say they're preshrunk. So you understand my surprise when the strip didn't shrink. Not even a little. In fact, I think it stretched some. I blocked it flat, but I must have pulled on it. So I remeasured and recalculated the dimensions of my afghan. Um... If Baby J big enough to fit that blanket, then there's no way I'd survive the delivery. I began to be ill. I thought and thought, and finally worked it out. I had to frog back 50 rows and finished off. 50 rows! You should all be proud of me, I didn't cry at all. It did make a difference that all the other strips will only be 200 rows instead of 250. I was able to adjust the dimensions so that it will still be of standard size (36" x 35"). I had to spend time fixing things, reblocking, and now I can move forward again, knowing it will be okay, and actually faster than I thought. So I had a setback, but it turned out to be a good thing. :)

No comments: