Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Photo and Dog Update

Okay, so I finally got the time to take and upload the most recent stage of Baby J's blanket.

Not including the border, it's about a fourth done. I have the next strip in progress after a major incident whereby I lost a lot of work (okay, all of it - tears were shed), but it's coming along nicely now and is a fifth done. That's actually pretty good progress given the amount of time available to do any knitting. I get something done mostly every day since I carry it with me everywhere I go. What's that? Ten minutes until the next meeting? That's a ton of time for knitting! And sadly sometimes all I get in a day. But whatever. Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither was this blanket. Baby steps, baby steps.

How sad is it that the only time I could find to take and post a photo was while I was in my office? I really do work!

The dogs are fine. They scared us silly! We spent time calculating how much chocolate they could actually have ingested, and if the little Bichon had eaten it all, it would still not have been lethal, too close for comfort, but not lethal. We did worry anyway in case he was especially sensitive (since some dogs are), but he's fine. And all evidence now points to the Dachshund getting most of it. Let's just say the fat content of it didn't agree with her stomach, but otherwise she's fine. Since she's twice his size, she could handle twice as much before approaching toxic levels. Here's the math of it for chocolate: If you have a very high dose of poison, let's say toxic levels, but share half of it with someone twice your size, you get half of a toxic dose, while the other person only gets a quarter of a dose. It may have been closer to her getting two thirds (she's quite the oinker). Either way it was mercifully okay, since if she had the whole thing it would have been close to a half a toxic dose, while for him alone it would have been close but still not toxic.

Now they all get locked up, not just my Border Collie and my Golden Retriever. They have separation anxiety, so I cage them for their own good. It keeps them calm and prevents them from chewing on things that could hurt them or cost us a bundle to replace. Mama didn't want her babies locked up, and since they were usually good (99% of the time), we left them loose. Well, since Alex got neutered, he's been a real pain in the butt about food. He has no compunctions about getting up on tables (which he somehow manages even with the chairs pushed in!) to get at bags of food ready to be gifted to others (this is how he got the bag of brownies). Before the snippy-snippy, he didn't do this. Tigger can't get up on anything because she has permanent damage from her blown disc from 4 and a half years ago. So if it's not on the floor, or within two feet of the floor, it's safe from her. This is why the house is basically baby proofed already. Now here's the rub. Alex will get whatever goodies he can find, then bring them down to share with Tigger. He could take them up on the couch or the bed, and have it all to himself, but no. This generosity on his part potentially saved his life. So after the scare last night, Mama gave me carte blanche to discipline them as I see fit and not coddle them. So they are all in the doggie room Michael and I have been working on in the basement. It's not done yet, but it's good enough for now. All we need to do is paint the walls, but it doesn't have to be done to be a safe place for them. Kelsey barked for a few minutes after we put them in it, but that's pretty normal for her, while the others were more quiet. She's the one I'd worry about ripping the door off and getting loose. Don't laugh! Once, she ripped the molding off from around a door and was halfway to getting through when I stopped her. I was only gone 10 minutes, but the noises she could hear motivated her to want to get out to help me. (It wasn't serious, but she didn't know the neighbor wasn't a genuine threat to me.) Anyway, that was fun to fix. So it was nice this morning that we could finish getting ready and leave without them getting hyper and underfoot.

Another plus for the dog room is that I never again have to worry about any of the dogs getting at my yarn. Yay! Actually, since I've been home from California, none of them have even looked twice at a ball of yarn. I guess it just smelled like me and they absolutely HAD.... TO.... HAVE.... IT. I should be flattered that they love me so much, but we're talking yarn here.

No comments: