Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Home and Feeling Great





We got to take Jamie home on Thursday the 18th, and got home late in the day. Jamie did so well! He rode in the car and was a happy boy. He slept for a while, played by himself for a while, and I played with him for a while, so the 2.5 hour drive went by pretty quickly. He got a little fussy in the last 10 minutes or so, but I was able to distract him until we got home. He had a messy one, so it's not surprising he was cranky. Then he went to sleep without fussing. Amazing.



Since we've been home he's been a new boy
. He's calmer and happier and not so fussy. He likes to snuggle now. We can sit with him on the couch, just holding him, and he is happy. Before, he'd just have a fit if we weren't walking him around or at least bouncing him while sitting. And he goes to sleep for naps and bedtime without having a fit. I rock him and out he goes. No crying! Nothing! And then when he wakes up he plays by himself for a while until we hear him and get him, and he's not upset. Before, he'd always wake up from naps crying piteously. Only in the mornings would he wake up happy. It's just amazing. He has a lot more attention for play now. He will amuse himself with his books and toys for up to an hour now! Before you'd be lucky to get a half hour. He also wants me a lot more. He loves his Mama. I hold him and he's totally calm.

It seems like before I could hold him and it would help, but he'd still be miserable. I thought and had been told that he was just a fussy baby, a "high needs baby". The truth was that he was in pain because his innards were jumbled. But you know what's the strangest part? I had wondered if everything was "where it should be" inside his torso. I even asked the doctor once at his 6 month check up, and she said yeah. She had no reason to think anything so rare was going on with him, and it's pretty hard to diagnose without a chest x-ray, so I can't blame her for not finding it. But it's so weird that I just kept wondering that since he was born. I mean, seriously, who questions whether or not their child's organs are in the right places? He sometimes had breathing problems, but the doc said he was healthy and that it was probably a virus or allergies or something like that. I just chalked it up to being a paranoid first time mother. That's what I've always heard about mothers who constantly question about the things their child is doing, and I didn't want to be unreasonable. FORGET THAT! From now on, I will absolutely trust my own instincts. I will trust my mother's instinct.

Oh, and he still is a feisty boy. He is still my child, after all. ;)

1 comment:

Bridget McGann said...

It is all totally amazing.

Thanks for sharing pics, especially since I haven't been able to see him...He looks so much better...what a sweet baby!